The Confucius Institute Scholarship Program is provided by Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters. This program is open to international students and Chinese language teachers to further their studies in China. The applications will be accepted each year from February through May. The latest application guidelines will be announced in January.
The program will offer financial support for students in the following academic areas:
- Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages
- Chinese Literature
- Chinese History
- Chinese Philosophy
- Short-term Chinese Language Studies
Please click here for information on application criteria & eligibility and scholarship coverage. Chinese universities that participate in the program include Beijing University, Tsinghua University, Shanghai Jiao Tong University etc. For detailed information, please visit the link of Confucius Institute Scholarship Accepting Institutes.
1. Create an online application account and complete the Online Application Form; Print and sign the form;
2. A copy of passport photo page;
3. A Personal Statement
- Focus on Academic background related with Chinese learning and study plan in China;
- Either in Chinese or in English;
- No less than 800 words;
- Print and sign the statement;
4. Diploma and transcripts with official stamps (Note: Documents in language other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized translations in Chinese or English.)
5. One letter of recommendation.
For applicants majoring in Chinese literature, history and philosophy only:
A copy of HSK score statement
For applicants to Masters of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages only:
- A copy of HSK score statement;
- Two letters of recommendation;
- A written commitment stating the applicant will be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least five years after graduation.
Please mail the application package to the address below before the deadline.
UCLA Confucius Institute
1339 Murphy Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1418