Basic Entry Requirements for All Candidates
1. Possess a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university and attempt passage of the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST).
2. Obtain character clearance (fingerprint background check). See additional information.
Requirements for Multiple Subject and Single Subject Preliminary Credentials
1. Earn a BA or BS degree from a regionally-accredited college or university. (Please note that foreign degrees must be evaluated by a Commission-approved independent agency. Please also see requirements for individuals prepared outside of the country for the Single Subject Credential and the Multiple Subject Credential.)
2. Pass the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST), an exam assessing basic knowledge of reading, math and English writing proficiency.
3. Complete an approved teacher credential preparation program (including a course on teaching methods and a supervisored student teaching experience).
4. Verify subject matter competence by passing the appropriate subject matter exam (i.e. CSET Single Subject Mandarin, CSET Science, CSET Math, or CSET for elementary schools-multiple subjects credential) or by completing a Commission-approved subject-matter program (no approved Mandarin programs to date).
5. Fulfill US Constitution Requirement (by coursework or exam).
6. Take foundational computer technology course (by coursework or exam) that teaches skills in using computers in educational settings.
7. Satisfy Developing English Language Skills requirement by completing a comprehensive reading course including the following: the systemic study of phonemic awareness, phonics, and decoding; literature, language and comprehension; and diagnostic and early intervention techniques.
8. Pass the Reading Instruction Competence Assessments (RICA) basic reading skills (for Multiple Subject Teaching Credential candidates only).